New York is rich in mineral collecting sites. Many have been known for a hundred years or more, but others are being found every year. The preponderance of locations are found in the geologic smorgasbord that is known as the Adirondack Mountains.
The purpose of this site is to capture personal knowledge of sites I have visited, and others that I would like to visit. This input includes maps, field pictures, mineral photos, and literature references. It is not meant to be complete, and I intend to continually add to the site as I explore New York geology and minerals.
Anyone who stumbles on this fledgling site and wishes to contact me about these localities or others, I’m easily found at [email protected] and I’m eager to hear from you. I do not often check comments left on this blogsite; it is better to send directly to my e-mail.
List of Locations (with links to posts)
- Ace of Diamonds Mine, Middleville, NY (April 20, 2015)
- Balmat-Edwards Mine Shaft #4 (Oct. 22, 2013)
- Balmat Hexagonite (July 27, 2015)
- Benson Mines, Star Lake, NY (Sept. 22, 2013)
- Benson Mines, Star Lake, NY (Jan 16, 2014)
- Benson Mines, Star Lake, NY (June 10, 2014)
- Benson Mines, Star Lake, NY (Nov 4, 2014)
- Bush Farm, Gouverneur, NY (Sept. 30, 2017)
- Fayetteville Selenite (July 20, 2015)
- Fine, NY for Skarn Minerals (Sept., 25, 2014)
- Hampton Corners Mine, Mt. Morris, NY (Dec 10, 2014)
- Hooper Mine Garnets, North River, NY (June 11, 2017)
- Ilion Gorge, Ilion, NY (July 28,2014)
- Ilion Gorge Revisited (June 23, 2015)
- Ilion Gorge Fluorescence (Aug. 26, 2015)
- Lewis Mine, Essex County (Feb. 11, 2014)
- Lockport Quarry Dolomite (Oct. 24, 2015)
- Moose River Quartz (January 22, 2016)
- Owen Prospect, Pierrepont, NY (Oct., 18, 2013)
- Penfield Quarry Dolomite (Oct. 24, 2015)
- Penfield Quarry (May 16, 2017)
- Powers Farm, Pierrepont, NY (June 27, 2014)
- Pulpit Road Graphite (June 27, 2016)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (Oct., 17, 2013)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (Oct. 22, 2013)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (Nov., 24, 2013)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (May 6, 2014)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (June 10, 2014)
- Rose Road, Pitcairn, NY (Nov 4, 2014)
- Rose Road Fluorescents, Pitcairn, NY (March 27, 2015)
- Seavey Road Quarry, Gouveneur, NY (Sept. 27, 2016)
- Selleck Road, West Pierrepont, NY (Feb 11., 2014)
- Selleck Road, West Pierrepont, NY (June 27, 2014)
- Valentine Mine, Harrisville, NY (Dec 4, 2014)
- Walworth Quarry Dolomite (Oct. 24, 2015)
- Walworth Quarry Open House (Oct 14, 2016)
- Wildwood Road, Canton, NY (Nov 3, 2013)
Wayne County Gem and Mineral Club Newsletters can be accessed on the club newsletter page of the website.
Here are a couple example issues that are posted on the blog:
WCGMC newsletter September 2022
Sand Times Fall 2022 vol 3 no3
2 thoughts on “Minerals in NY”
These site articles are super helpful. Is wayne county gem & mineral or st. Lawrence gem & mineral doing any field trips before the season ends?
Sorry I did not check my messages in here before meeting you at Walworth Quarry this weekend. To answer your question, the season is pretty much over for this year for WCGMC. We’re focusing on monthly meetings and workshops now. But we will be at it again in 2016. Our website is usually pretty current with info on trips. (www.wcgmc.org).