This page is set up to allow Calkins Road MS Science Olympiads in the Fossil Section to access material that I have introduced at weekly meetings. I plan to add to this weekly from November 2015 to March 2016.
There are 3 sections (General Info, Introduction to Fossils and Quizzes). All contain links to material we have, or will, cover when we meet.
General Material: — click on the link in green
- Fossil Rules 2015 — please read, ask questions if anything is unclear
- 2016 Fossil List – Science Olympiad – We will review each and every one between November and late January.
- Geologic Time Scale — the better you know this and appreciate the magnitude of the times represented here, the better you can grasp geologic history and the animals that have thrived and then gone extinct in geologic time.
- taxonomy – Biologic Classification from Kingdom to species
- environments – mostly definitions of where animals lived
- Major Extinctions_ 1 page – all on one page
- Major Extinctions_ 5 pages version with room to add material
- Sedimentary Rocks — added Jan 10th
- Definitions — added Feb 8th
Introduction to Fossils:
You will notice I have provided a lot of information on the first two files, however after that I am leaving that work for you. I provide a picture and a format for you to collect further information for your notebooks. Information like the Geologic Period that the species lived, the environment within which it lived, how it fed, etc. And for those that have gone extinct, when and perhaps why it went extinct. We will study the 5 major events of mass extinction later, it is a good idea to be able to place species from your list into these event.
- 1. Forams, Sponges, Bryozoa (Numbers 1-6)
- 2. Cnidaria and Graptolites (Numbers 7-13)
- 3. Arthropods (Numbers 14-21)
- 4. Brachiopods (Numbers 22-30)
- 5. Mollusca (Numbers 31-45)
- 6. Echinodermata (Numbers 46-50)
- 7. Fish (Numbers 51-59)
- 8. Amphibians and Reptiles (Numbers 60-66)
- 9. Dinosaurs (Numbers 67-77)
- Dinosaur summary sheet – Fill in the grid
- 10. Birds and Mammals (Numbers 78-88)
- 11. Chromista and Plantae (Numbers 89-98)
- Invertebrate Fossil Phylum
QUIZES – in most files, the answers are on the final page
Quiz 2 Dec 4 — 6 stations, first three utilize picture pages at the end of the file.
Quiz 3 Dec 18 — 7 stations, pictures required follow questions
Quiz 4 Jan 8 — 7 stations, pictures needed and answers at the end
Quiz 5 Jan 15 — 4 stations
Quiz 6 Jan 22 — 4 stations
Quiz 7 Jan 29— 7 stations
Quiz 8 Feb 5– 6 stations
Quiz 9 Feb 19 — 6 stations
Quiz 10 Feb 26– 6 stations