This page was created in November, 2019 to assist Calkins Road Middle School Science Olympiads participating in the Fossil Competition. I will periodically add material from November until the competition in March 0f 2020. The material can be accessed from the links below.
General Material: — click on the link in green
- Fossil Rules — please read, ask questions if anything is unclear
- 2020_Fossil_List We will review each and each one between November and late January.
- Geologic Time Scale vertical— the better you know this and appreciate the magnitude of the times represented here, the better you can grasp geologic history and the animals that have thrived and then gone extinct in geologic time.
- GeologicTime Scale horizontal – another version
- taxonomy – Biologic Classification from Kingdom to species
- environments – mostly definitions of where animals lived
- Major Extinctions – a single page summary
- Definitions – (2 pages) you look them up and fill it in
- Sedimentary Rocks (2 pages)
- Fossil Preservation (1 pages)
Introduction to Fossils:
- Forams, Sponges, Bryozoa, Graptolites posted 11/18
- Cnidaria posted 11/18
- Arthropods posted 11/28
- Brachiopods posted 11/28
- Mollusca posted 12/15
- Echinodermata posted 12/29
- Fish posted 1/5
- Amphibians and Reptiles posted 1/12
- Dinosaurs_ Saurischia posted 1/20
- Dinosaurs_ Ornithischia posted 1/20