This page is set up to allow Calkins Road MS Science Olympiads in the Rocks and Minerals Section to access material that I have introduced at weekly meetings. I plan to add to this weekly from November 2016 to March 2017.
Ultimately there will be 3 sections (General Info, Introduction to Rocks and Minerals, and Stations/Quizzes). All contain links to material we have, or will, cover when we meet.
- Rules-for-2016-2017-Rocks-and-Minerals – please read and ask any questions, we will review all these items in coming meetings
- 2016-2017-Rocks-and Minerals-List – We will review each and every one between November and late January.
- Mineral-Properties-1 – Introduction to Mineral Properties, Cleavage, Hardness, Crystal Forms, Luster, & Fracture
- Science Olympiad Website for Rocks and Minerals – A very informative page with material on the rocks and minerals you need to know and their properties. PLEASE REVIEW
Introduction to Rocks and Minerals on the List
You will notice I have provided a picture or two for each entry and a format for you to collect further information for your notebooks. There is space for you to fill in some of the mineral properties as you become familiar with the rocks and minerals that you will learn. These pages can become part of the loose leaf notebook you generate and take to the competition in March.
- Native-elements (6 minerals) – introduced Nov. 18
- Borates-carbonates-halides-hydroxides-oxides-phosphates– (14 minerals) – introduced Dec. 2nd.
- sulfates-and-sulfides (10 minerals) – introduced December 16
- silicates-1 (15 minerals) – introduced December 16
- silicates-2 (8 minerals and quartz varieties) – introduced Dec. 23
- rocks – Sedimentary, Igneous and Metamorphic Rocks you need to know and the Rock Cycle -for January 6th meeting
- Types of Coal (Lignite, Bituminous, Anthrachite)
- Gems and Minerals
- Stations-December-16 – (4 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Stations-December-23 (4 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Stations-January-6 (4 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Stations – January 13 (4 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Stations – January 20 (4 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Stations – January 27 (3 stations) — answers not yet posted
- Quiz – January 27 (16 NY questions from the past)